15-branch pilot program offers alternative to high-fee check cashing services to help people keep more of their stimulus payments in their pockets.
M&T Bank has offered to help non-customers cash their stimulus payment checks at no cost at 15 of its Buffalo-area branches.
The pilot program offers free cashing of stimulus checks to local individuals and encourages use of the banking system instead of high-fee check cashing services.
“During this time of financial uncertainty, our community needs to have immediate access to their stimulus funds without incurring additional costs. It’s incredibly important, especially for those who need it most,” said David Femi, head of M&T Bank’s Multicultural Banking Segment and former retail regional manager overseeing M&T’s City of Buffalo branches.
“The stimulus payments are meant to help people get through this crisis, so we wanted to do our part to make sure every penny stays in the pockets of our neighbors and families,” Femi added. “Our Multicultural Banking Team has been working to make this service available, understanding the importance and impact of stimulus payments in our communities. Every cent that stays in our neighbors’ pockets has the potential to support local businesses facing their own challenges – which will further uplift our community.”
In addition to offering the service inside its branches, M&T will also assist customers and non-customers with stimulus-check cashing through its branches’ drive-thru lanes. This option will be valuable to those who may not feel comfortable entering places of business, though M&T’s branch lobbies are open and operating safely.
While the service is free, it is important to know that anyone using this service will need to bring personal identification. If two people are listed as payees on the check, both will need to be present with proper identification.
Additionally, M&T will not require any part of any stimulus payment to be used to offset any fees or penalties that customers or non-customers may owe.
The M&T branch locations prepared to cash stimulus checks for non-customers include:
- Broadway: 999 Broadway, Buffalo, NY 14212
- Clinton Bailey: 644 Bailey Ave, Buffalo, NY 14206
- Delaware Hertel: 2310 Delaware Ave, Buffalo, NY 14216
- Elmwood: 709 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo, NY 14222
- Fountain Plaza: One Fountain Plaza, Buffalo, NY 14203
- Grant Street: 130 Grant St, Buffalo, NY 14213
- Jefferson: 1300 Jefferson Ave, Buffalo, NY 14208
- Kensington Bailey: 3037 Bailey Ave, Buffalo, NY 14215
- Main Delevan: 1877 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14208
- One M&T Plaza: 345 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14203
- Riverside: 788 Tonawanda St, Buffalo, NY 14207
- Seneca Caz: 2199 Seneca St, Buffalo, NY 14210
- Tops Niagara: 425 Niagara St, Buffalo, NY 14201
- Towne Garden: 447 William St, Buffalo, NY 14204
- University Plaza: 3500 Main St, Amherst, NY 14226
For more information about how M&T is assisting its customers through financial hardships, visit mtb.com/be-informed.
About M&T Bank
M&T Bank Corporation is a financial holding company headquartered in Buffalo, New York. M&T’s principal banking subsidiary, M&T Bank, operates banking offices in New York, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Virginia, West Virginia and the District of Columbia. Trust-related services are provided by M&T’s Wilmington Trust-affiliated companies and by M&T Bank. Member FDIC.