Public Meetings for East Side Commercial District Program for  MLK & Broadway Fillmore

Broadway Fillmore Neighborhood Housing Services (BFNHS) is pleased to announce a new East Side Commercial District Program (ESCDP). 

With funding from Empire State Development, this program will offer grant assistance – to a maximum of $50,000 – for commercial building improvements in the MLK and Broadway Fillmore commercial corridors. 

The MLK program area is Fillmore Avenue between East Ferry and North Parade.  The Broadway Fillmore program area is Fillmore Avenue between Sycamore and Paderewski as well as Broadway between Reed and Memorial.    

To be eligible, applicants must own the property, or obtain site control (for example a purchase contract) prior to application.  New businesses looking to rent space in the program area must apply in tandem with the current building owner. This program is specifically for commercial buildings that need exterior and interior improvements.  Building owners are required to contribute 15% of the total project costs.  The grant will provide the other 85%, up to a maximum of $50,000.   There is technical assistance, including design and cost estimating, available to applicants at no cost.   A neighborhood-based Project Selection Committee will score and rank all applications, and make decisions on which projects will receive funding.   

The kick-off meeting for the Broadway Fillmore commercial district will be held on: 

November 7, 2019 at 6:00 pm – Jericho Road CHC – 1021 Broadway 

The kick-off meeting for the MLK commercial district will be held on: 

November 21, 2019 at 6:00 pm – Merriweather Library – 1324 Jefferson

 At both meetings prospective applicants will receive the program application as well as the ranking criteria that will be used to make funding decisions.  The consultant team will be present to provide additional information on the program as well as explain how to access free technical assistance in the preparation of the application. 

The grant award is from the East Side Collaborative Fund, which is administered by the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo. The pooled fund was created through a unique partnership of private and philanthropic organizations to complement capital funding that is being awarded by Empire State Development (ESD) as part of its $65 million East Side Corridor Economic Development Fund (ESCEDF), which is part of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo’s Buffalo Billion II initiative.  

For additional information, contact the BFNHS Commercial District Program Manager, Brianna Byandagara at bbyandagara@780fillmore.org.